Training Programme Week 6
Women’s Mini Marathon Training Programme
Congratulations on signing up for the Evening Echo Women’s Mini Marathon on Sunday, September 16. This training programme should improve your fitness levels over the next few weeks and help you jog/run the Mini Marathon. The programme assumes that you currently walk a minimum of 30min on a regular basis.
TOP TIPS FOR YOUR FINAL MINI MARATHON PREPARATION
- In the few days before the run make sure you are taking in enough water. Aim for 2 litres/8 glasses a day.
- Try to get 6-8 hours sleep each night during the week of the run, especially the night before.
- On the Day – do not try out any new footwear
- Aim to eat approx. 2 hours prior to the race (Approx. 10:00/11:00am)
- Be sure to arrive with plenty of time for the warm up – No need to worry about how to warm up, Women’s Fitness Plus will be there to warm up the crowd!
- During the run – keep breathing and focus on what you are doing – don’t worry about anyone else
- After the run – don’t just stop, keep slowly jogging / walking for 2-3mins and then try some static stretches
- Most importantly – Enjoy yourself!
WHAT TO EAT BEFORE & AFTER MINI MARATHON
- Pancakes – 30g oats, 2 egg and 1 banana, serve with yoghurt & berries (approx. 8 small pancakes)
- Porridge oats with a handful of raisins and 1 banana
- Poached or scrambled eggs, sliced avocado, tomatoes & mushrooms served on 2 slices of whole grain bread
POST EVENT RECOVERY SNACKS:
- A handful of dried fruit and nuts
- Fresh fruit and yoghurt.
- Protein shake.
POST EVENT MEAL OPTIONS:
- Turkey and vegetable skewers with pitta bread
- Baked or grilled salmon with rice and salad
- Jacket potato with chicken and salad
Starting Monday, September 10
Day 1 Cardio 30 – 45mins: • Do any cardio activity, except running • Cross trainer & bike are great choices
Day 2 Rest
Day 3 Speed Workout – 4 KM: • Run or walk 1/2km • Run 1 km at your goal race pace • Recover for 4 min’s • Repeat 2 more times • Run-walk 1/2km
Day 4 Cardio 30 – 45mins: • Do any cardio activity except running • Cross trainer & bike are great choices.
Day 5 Tempo Workout – 4 KM: • Run 2km at an easy pace • Do 4 strides (20 sec’s each) during the last Km
Day 6 Rest
Day 7 MINI MARATHON DAY. BEST OF LUCK!