Dairy-free banana and berry smoothie
- 4 very ripe bananas, peeled, broken into chunks and frozen
- 200g (7oz) frozen berries
- 450ml (3/4 pint) rice, soya or nut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a blender or food processor, blitz 1/4 of the frozen bananas and berries with half the rice milk until smooth.
- Meanwhile, toast the quinoa in a frying pan over a medium heat, stirring frequently for 2-3 mins, until golden. Add the stock, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 mins.
- Gradually add in the remaining banana chunks, berries, rice milk and vanilla extract until everything is smooth and very well combined, this may take a few minutes.
- This recipe makes a thick smoothie. Simply add more rice milk for a lighter version. Serve immediately.
Pineapple and coconut smoothie
- 2 large ripe pineapples or 3 x 400g packs ready-prepared fresh pineapple chunksd
- 3 bananas
- 12 ice cubes
- 2 x 400ml tins coconut milk, chilled
- Mint sprigs
- If using whole pineapples, peel and remove the core. Cut the pineapple flesh into chunks (save some to garnish). Peel the bananas and cut each one into 4 pieces.
- Put the ice in a freezer bag, then wrap it in a clean towel and bash with a rolling pin to break up the ice cubes.
- Put half the fruit, one tin of coconut milk and half the ice in a blender or smoothie maker and whizz until smooth.
- Pour into 3 glasses. Repeat with the rest of the fruit and the other tin of coconut milk. Pour into 3 more glasses and garnish all 6 with pineapple – and fresh mint, if you like.