Breakfast: Banana, spelt and blueberry pancakes
Serves 4 / 30 mins / 273 calories / serving
- 300g fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 150g spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 150ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed, plus extra sliced banana to serve (optional)
- Put 200g blueberries in a pan with 2 tbsp maple syrup. Put over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Simmer gently, stirring often, until the berries begin to burst. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the spelt flour with the baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Make a well in the centre.
- In a second bowl, beat the egg, milk, vanilla and mashed banana together. Pour into the well in the first bowl and mix lightly to form a batter. Stir in the remaining 100g blueberries.
- Put a large frying pan over a medium heat. Brush the surface lightly with oil and add small ladlefuls of batter to form up to 6 pancakes in total, spacing them out well. Cook for a couple of minutes, or until bubbles appear on the surface and the undersides are lightly browned. Flip over and cook for a further minute or so.
- Repeat to make 12 pancakes in total. Serve the hot pancakes in stacks of 3 with the blueberry compote and extra banana slices, if you like.